There’s an excellent tutorial over at Matt Mullenweg’s site detailing how to create a favicon; it’s an old post but still useful today. And here’s an interesting look at different sites’ favicons and a link to a great review by Makiko Itoh.
Read more about the fascinating favicon.
- Favicon generator
- Another favicon generator
- Understand the Favicon (Jonathan Neal)
- Favicon: A Changing Role (SitePoint.com)
- How to Create Retina-Caliber Favicons (Daring Fireball)
- Big Favicons (Donal Ellis)
- The Favicon Gallery
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Favicons
- More About Retina Favicons
- Fifty Fantastic Favicons (Smashing Magazine)
Joni Mueller has been designing web sites for hire since 2003, when she first blew up her web host’s server by insisting on running Greymatter. Since then, Joni has designed for Blogger and Movable Type, TextPattern, WordPress and CMS Made Simple. She lives with her cat and shoe collection in a bucolic old section of Houston called Idylwood. For some strange reason, Joni likes to refer to herself in the third person. When she’s not working on web design, she’s ordering lawyers around. And blogging about it. Or both.